Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A Sweet Reminder of The Joy of Motherhood

      My husband and I never planned on having another baby after our son was born. We had experienced a very traumatic labor in which we almost lost him, and I really did not want to go through that again. We had in our minds the plan that should play out for our family, but God, he had a different plan. God knew that until Sophia became a part of our family, that we would not be complete. Sophia made our family whole.
       Sophia has been dramatic and a diva since she was in the womb. She has always been one to make her presence and feelings known. You never have to guess what Sophia is feeling because she feels everything exponentially. Sophia can light up a room with a simple smile or gesture or she can bring down a room with a scream. She wears her emotions on her sleeve.
        I struggle sometimes with understanding my daughter. She is sometimes so different from me and our personalities don't always mesh. Sophia is independent and strong-willed and a free thinker; while I am independent, I have always been more of a rule follower who tried to do the right thing. I like the box, and Sophia does not like to be contained.
         There are days when Sophia and I clash and our home is far from peaceful. I have a friend whose daughter is similar to Sophia and we often encourage each other with the reminder that one day this stubborn, strong-willed attitude will serve her very well. I know that when Sophia gets older, she will not be easily swayed and that she will have no problem taking a stand for what she wants. Sophia is going to grow up to be the kind of woman who refuses to settle for less than what she deserves and she is going to fight for what she thinks is right. But right now when she is three, these character traits tend to push my buttons more times than not.
         And then there are moments when other aspects of her personality shine through. Moments when she does something that absolutely melts my heart and makes me remember just how blessed I am that I get to be Sophia's mom. Moments like this one:

     
            This weekend my sister was able to capture a very sweet moment between my daughter and me. Sophia was exhausted after traveling for 6 hours the night before and playing hard with her brother and cousin all afternoon. She climbed up into my lap and before long she had fallen asleep. I love this picture. It reminds me why I get up every morning. Moments like the one in this picture are why I quit my teaching job to stay home with my kids. I cannot even imagine a life in which Sophia is not present. Yes, Sophia and I may butt heads and odds are good that our personalities will clash many times over the years to come, but she is my girl and I would not trade her for the world.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment