Thursday, April 10, 2014

Looking Beyond Current Circumstance to Remember Past Provision

    Some of you already know that our family has hit on some difficult times in the last couple of weeks. Two weeks ago my husband's car was involved in 3 wrecks in 5 days and we spent several days just seeking after God in the midst of our chaos. Then last week we went down to one car as we are waiting to get tags put on the car my amazing father-in-law so graciously gave us. This means we all have to get up before 6 am, load up the car, drive my husband to work, drive home and then pick him up again at the end of the work day. On top of that, my car needed a new tire two weekends ago and this past weekend in addition to a standard oil change, we had to replace the brake pads and rotors on my car. To make things even more challenging, last week was spring break which means I did not nanny, and this week the little boy I watch has been sick, so I have only watched him one day. No nanny job means no paycheck for me.
    Suffice it to say, we are experiencing a time of trial. I share this not to get your pity or even to complain about how horrible my life is. I share this because so often I allow my struggles to isolate me. The enemy feeds us the lie that we are alone in our struggles and there is no one else out there who will understand. The enemy wants to deter us from seeking out our God and remembering the truths of Scripture. The enemy wants to distract us with our current circumstance so that we won't remember God's past provisions.
     God has shown up in real and profound ways time and time again. When we first moved to Louisville back in 2009, we came totally on faith. We had no jobs, no place to live, and no real savings. We simply knew that God had called Aaron to Southern Baptist Seminary and we were going to follow that call. Within a matter of days of being in Louisville, my husband was giving a job at the seminary's dining hall, which would turn into a full-time manager position  years later and provide meals many times over the years. We found a small apartment that more than met our needs. During those first few months though, money was very tight. I distinctly remember one day when I had to go buy groceries. We only had about $20 in our account so I was making a list of the absolute essentials we needed to feed our son. Before I went to the store, I walked down and checked our mailbox. Inside was a letter from someone back home with a check for $100. I ran up the stairs to our apartment and showed my husband. That check meant we could buy food we actually wanted, not just what we needed. God provided!
     My God is a great God who has promised to take care of me and my family and my God can be trusted to keep his promises. Today I spent some time in God's word seeking out some Scripture to remind me of this truth. I want to share a few of the verses that really hit home with me.

    Psalm 18:30 - "This God-his way is perfect; the word of the Lord proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him."
    - I serve a perfect God and his word is proven true time and time again! Hallelujah!

    Psalm 111:4-5 - "He has caused his wondrous works to be remembered; the Lord is gracious and merciful. He provides food for those who fear him; he remembers his covenant forever."
     - My God has always been faithful and he will continue to be. When I face struggles, I need to remember all his wondrous works. Pray that God will remind you of all he has done for you!

    Philippians 4:6 - "do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be known to God."
    - Often I do not give voice to my requests. Sometimes I believe I am being selfish or that God has more important things to deal with, but this verse shatters that lie. I am told to make my requests known to God, not because he doesn't already know, but because part of the process of letting go of anxiety is knowing that you have given it to God. When I give voice to my requests, I can let them go and trust in my God to fulfill my needs

    Philippians 4:19 - "And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus."
    - My God has promised to supply my needs-I need to cling to that promise!

    The past couple of days, I have struggled with trusting God completely to provide and care for us. I had reached my natural capacity for trust. So this morning I am asking for a supernatural capacity for trust. I am getting in my God's face with his word, begging him to keep his promises and to give me the strength to remember and trust!

No comments:

Post a Comment