Friday, December 20, 2013

Christmas Traditions

   Christmas is full of family traditions, and my family was no different. Growing up we never had a lot of money, but my mother was crafty and resourceful. Each year she would make a ton of goodies; chocolate covered pretzels, chocolate covered spoons, cookies, peppermint bark, etc; and for days our kitchen table and counters would be covered with all sorts of sweets. Then we would go around on Christmas Eve delivering the goodies to our friends around town. I always looked forward to making (and eating) the goodies and I even enjoyed delivering the goodies. It was always fun to visit with friends.
    As with most traditions, I have continued this tradition with my family. Today was the day, so I started early making my list and prepping our kitchen for a marathon day of goodie making.
  
   My kitchen table was soon covered with chocolate covered spoons, chocolate covered pretzels, chocolate mint patties, ice cream cones (Buggles, peanut butter, and chocolate), and Oreo truffles. It's crazy how I make many of the same things my mom made while adding a couple of new things each year, much like she did.
    Normally I would let me kiddos help me with the goodie making process, but this year we are very short on time and my daughter stayed in North Carolina with my parents until the rest of us come back later in the week. When my son got home from school we packaged everything up and left to make our Christmas deliveries. None of our friends knew we were coming and seeing their surprised faces was half the fun.


      I hope that this is a tradition my children will continue with their families when they are older. It is such a sweet and personal way to give to others and spread a little love during a very hectic season.
     What traditions are part of your Christmas season?

No comments:

Post a Comment