Friday, January 10, 2014

Day Four: How God Speaks to Me Through Song

    Today I am featuring one of my favorite songs, Come Ye Sinners. This is one of those songs that presents the gospel so beautifully and I can listen to it over and over again (in fact I am listening to it as I write this post).

Come Ye Sinners Audio

Come Ye Sinners
Joseph Hart, Brooks Ritter
CCLI License #1888971
©Sojourn Community Church 2012

Come, ye sinners, poor and needy
Weak and wounded, sick and sore;
Jesus ready stands to save you,
Full of pity, love and power.

Come, ye thirsty, come, and welcome,
God's free bounty glorify;
True belief and true repentance,
Every grace that brings you nigh.

Come, ye weary, heavy laden,
Lost and ruined by the fall;
If you tarry 'til you're better,
You will never come at all.
You will never come at all.

On the bloody Cross behold Him,
Sinner, will this not suffice,
Lo! the incarnate God ascended,
Pleads His perfect sacrifice.

Let not conscience make you linger,
Not of fitness fondly dream;
All the fitness He requireth,
Is to feel your need of Him. 

    This song is just so beautiful and so full of truth. We are all sinners, poor, needy, weak, wounded, sick and sore. We are all in desperate need of a savior, and Jesus is standing ready to save us. God has provided us with the grace necessary to come into His holy presence. With belief and repentance, God sets us free through the death of Jesus. We are lost and ruined and none of us can make ourselves good enough to come before God.
     One of my favorite parts of this song is the final lines of the chorus; "if you tarry 'til you're better, you will never come at all." There is no waiting until you make yourself better, because you never can. Only Jesus makes you good enough to come before God.
    My other favorite part of this song is the second verse. This is exactly my sentiment when I think of those who have yet to accept Jesus as their Savior. Is Jesus' perfect sacrifice not enough? What more do you need? Over the past few months, as Jesus has become more and more important to me, my desire to see the nations come to know him has grown. I want everyone to experience this joy and assurance that I have. This is one of the reasons I started this blog. My hope is that someone will read my posts and feel the Holy Spirit tug on her heart and call out to Jesus to save her.
    So today, as you listen to one of my favorite songs and you read the lyrics, open your heart to the prodding of the Holy Spirit. If you feel the Spirit tug at your heart, answer that call. You are never going to be able to do enough good deeds to atone for your sins. All you can do is plead the sacrifice of Jesus. Take Christ today and live with the assurance of your salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment