Sunday, January 5, 2014

How God Speaks to me Through Song

    This week I am going to do something I have not done yet on the blog: a series. Each day I am going to share a song and talk about how God has spoken to me through that song. When I can I will include an audio recording of that song.
    I love music; I always have. I grew up surrounded by music. My grandparents and my dad sang in the choir, my dad played guitar, and starting in sixth grade I played clarinet (then bass clarinet, then piano, then tenor saxophone, then alto saxophone). When I was in seventh grade I began singing in various choirs and eventually formed a little singing group with my dad and younger sister and we would sing at local churches. I love music.
      Music has always spoken to me. I am that person who will cry at a sad song, laugh at a happy song, and literally start jumping to an inspirational song (granted that jumping is more like a low hop, but hey it is jumping to me). For as long as I can remember, the lyrics to a song could always break through to my heart. I could be in church and hear a really great sermon, but it will be one of  the songs we sing during the service that I will carry home with me.
      I go to a really awesome church in Louisville, Sojourn Community Church, and they really value music.In fact, one of the reasons I fell in love with our church was because of a song we sang that second Sunday we attended, I knew then that we had found our church home. We have a praise band at every gathering, whether it be the Sunday morning service, a conference, or member's meeting. Our church loves to sing praises to our Lord. Sojourn has an amazing music ministry that fosters fantastic song writing. A lot of the music we sing on a given Sunday has been written by a member of Sojourn. It was while we were singing a Sojourn original this morning at church that I was inspired to do this series. You will get to experience some of the music from Sojourn this week.
     The plan for this series is to present the lyrics to a song and then go through the truths that have been spoken to me through that song. I will hopefully include an audio recording of the song at the end of each post so that you can hear the music, not just read the lyrics. I hope that you will join me this week as I talk about a subject that means so much to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment