Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Day Two: How God Speaks to Me Through Song

   Today I am going to share an older song, and by older I mean from 2007. I say it is older because it is not in the regular rotation at church, but it was when we first started attended Sojourn in 2009. This song was written by Charlie Richardson and it is titled, "There Is A Peace."


There is a Peace
Charlie Richardson
© 2007 Sojourn Community Church
CCLI Song #5133888
CCLI License #1888971

Come weary and tired worn out from life
Step out of the shadows and walk into light
Come sinner or saint, slave man or free
Bring blessings and offerings, then you shall see
Bring blessings and offering, then you shall see

There's a peace to settle your soul
There is a peace that is calling you home

You've been tempted and shaken, tested and failed
You've been so far from Jesus, too close to hell
Your vision's been clouded by this world's delight
But I tell you you're not of this world so stand up and fight
You're not of this world so stand up and fight

There's a peace to settle your soul
There is a peace that is calling you home
There is a peace to settle your soul
There is a peace that is calling you home
There is a peace perfect and true
The Prince of peace is calling for you


    This is one of those songs that when we do sing it in church I can't seem to raise my hands high enough and I can't smile big enough and I can't sing it loud enough. This song always brings me peace and comfort.
   I am a stay at home and I also nanny a precious little boy in my home during the week, so I know about being tired and weary and worn out from life. There are days when all I want to do is curl up under a blanket, watch Gilmore Girls on DVD and just check out from life. There are days when I just don't have peace-I am filled with anxiety over how the bills are going to be paid or I am stressed out because my kids are being kids and bickering constantly or I am angry because my kids just are not listening to me. I need the peace of Christ everyday, and especially on the days when I am not trusting in Jesus.
    This song also speaks to those times when I am lost in my sin. Even as a child of God, I struggle with sin. There are times when I don't listen to the Holy Spirit prodding at my heart and I do whatever I want to do. This song give me hope. There have been times when I have been close to hell and very far from Jesus. I have been woed by this world and believed that the world's delights will bring me peace and happiness. There are times when I feel so weakened by the weight of my sin that I don't think I can do anything to defeat it. It is because of those times that I love the final line of the second verse, "You're not of this world so stand up and fight!" When we sing this song in church, I am usually bouncing up and down, pumping my fist in the air, and singing this line at the top of my lungs. I need to be reminded that I am not of this world and my power does not come from me, my power is Jesus and because of that power I can stand up and fight!! That is good news!!
    Today's song is a little shorter, but man is it good. I hope that you will listen to it and read the words and rest in the peace that comes only from Jesus. If you are feeling far from Jesus and close to hell, call on Jesus to give you the power to stand up and fight. If you are weary and tired and worn out from life, Jesus, the Prince of Peace is calling you home, listen to that call; come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment