Wednesday, January 22, 2014

I Am Not Girly, But I Am Still a Woman

   I am not a girly girl; never have been. My mom says that even as a baby I detested wearing dresses. I have always been most comfortable in jeans and a T-shirt. Most of my friends growing up were guys and I would much rather have been playing softball or wrestling than playing with dolls. Even now, I don't like to wear make-up or fix my hair. I have no idea how to accessorize and I don't even carry a purse. I am just not a girly girl.
   However, just because I am not girly, that does not make me any less of a woman. People don't look at me on the street and think, "hey is that a dude?" Just because I prefer jeans to a skirt doesn't make me unwomanly. Just because I prefer a ponytail to spending 10-20 minutes blow drying and doing my hair doesn't mean I am not feminine. Just because I keep my stuff in my pockets instead of a purse doesn't make any less of a woman.
    I believe that I have a pretty good grasp on what it takes to be a woman of God. I have studied the Proverbs 31 Woman and the Titus 2 Woman and I think that I have pretty good grasp on my role as a woman. This is not to say that I don't have room for growth or that I don't fail at times, but still I think that I am doing a pretty good job. And something I have noticed as I studied being a godly woman is that nowhere does it say I have to be girly to be a godly woman. There is no requirement to wear dresses or make-up or always have nicely done hair. Being a godly woman has more to do with the heart, than the appearance.
    With that being said, I feel that I am quite womanly and feminine even though I am not girly. No my favorite color is not pink (in fact I kind of hate pink) and I don't wear high heels and skirts all the time, but I am still very feminine. I even asked my mother and my husband for characteristics of mine that speak to my femininity and I compiled this list:
     - I work from home so that I can be with our children more. When the opportunity became available for me to work as a nanny in my home and thus get my children out of daycare, I took it because I know the importance of being with my children.
     - I can cook and bake and I actually enjoy it. 
     - I practice hospitality-I love playing hostess and having people over to our house.
     - I do actually like some girly stuff like romantic movies, flowers, and getting dressed up to go out on a date with my sweet hubby. I just also like sports, action movies, classic cars and the like. I I'm actually well rounded, when you think about it.
     - Not to get gross, but I know how to allure my husband, just ask him.
     - I have long hair. I know this sounds weird, but when you think of someone being feminine you normally picture long hair, which I have.
     - My husband says that I am gentle and compassionate.
   This post may seem out of left field, but it is something that has been on my mind a lot lately. I know a lot of woman who dress well and always have their hair done and know how to accessorize and sometimes I compare myself to them and feel inadequate. On the rare occasion that I do put forth an effort and fix my hair and make-up and attempt to accessorize, I actually end up feeling uncomfortable. I just don't think that God made me to be girly. The older I get, the more comfortable I become with who I am. I am a little bit of a tomboy, I am low maintenance, and I am not girly. I am feminine and womanly even in my jeans, T-shirts, and ponytail.

No comments:

Post a Comment